I was attempting to make tortilla soup but I over spiced the mix and ended up having to add some extra rice to it; but this turned out to be a great decision the final product was filling, spicy, and flavorful.
- 2 cans rotel diced tomato
- 1 onion chopped roughly
- a handful of garlic
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans drained
- .25 cup arborio rice
- 1.5 teaspoon Cumin
- .5 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- .5 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- corn tortillas for crisp tortila strips
- Avocados or guacamole
- mexican shredded cheese
- sour cream
- In a large dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons of oil and a small pat of butter until the butter melts. Add Onion and Garlic until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add spice mixture and mix throughly. Once the spices become fragrant add the beans, rotel and corn; mix throughly. Cook over medium heat for 10min then add vegetable stock.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 30min. Then bring mixture to a rolling boil and add rice. Cook for 20 min stirring frequently.
- While the rice is cooking make the tortilla strips. Cut up 8-10 tortillas into strips. Pre-heat oven to 450. Mix the strips with a generous amount of olive oil and spread onto a single layer in a lined sheet pan. Cook for 6 mix or so, stirring halfway through.
- Serve the Gumbo with cut up avocado, tortila strips, cheese, and sour cream.