I know I haven’t updated in months but I’ve been lazy. Now that I have some time I’d like to share one of my favorite quick weeknight meals, red curry. Now I don’t actually make my own curry paste for a number of reasons the most prominent being it’s not worth the time and effort. After doing a bunch of research and talking to some Thai friends they all recommended Mae Ploy brand. (http://amzn.com/B000EI2LLO) The container of curry paste will stay good in the fridge for months. So it’s a great item to have in the back of the fridge.
The following is an adaptation of the recipe they put on the back of the container.
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste ( they suggest 50 grams which is closer to 3 tablespoons but it becomes too spicy for me)
- ½ lb mixed vegetables
- 1 potato diced if you find the curry too spicy
- 1 lb meat (I tend to make either sliced or diced chicken or mixed seafood)
- ½ teaspoon hoisin
- 1 cup coconut milk
- In a wok or deep pot heat 1 teaspoon oil and the curry paste until it just lightly browns
- Add in the coconut milk and bring to a mild simmer
- If you are making chicken or another hearty meat add the meat and simmer for 3-5 minutes, taste the curry and see if it’s too spicy, if it is then add the potato. If you are making seafood then cook the vegetables first then add the seafood
- Add the vegetables and cook for another 3-5 minutes until all items are fully cooked
- If curry is still too spicy add some hoisin
This is a quick and great tasting dish. If you are really in a rush you can buy precut veggies and use chicken breasts. I like to serve this over rice or even noodles.