This is a modified version of Mark Bittman’s master paella recipe using shrimp and sausage. I made the same thing but omitted the meats for my girlfriend and she loved it.
- ½ cup Arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock warmed
- .5lb shrimp (no heads but keep the shells on)
- 2 links sausage sliced on the bias
- ½ cup mixed vegetables frozen (peas, corn, green beans)
- ½ bell pepper diced
- ½ onion diced
- ½ zucchini diced
- ½ lb mushroom diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Paprika (to taste)
- 10 threads Saffron (feel free to omit but do not use turmeric as a substitute)
- Put 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet on high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer add the garlic, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, and peppers. And sprinkle on some salt an pepper. Cook until the onions have softened.
- Add the rice, saffron, and paprika; stir together until the rice takes on a sheen. You may need to add a touch of oil to the pan if it’s dried out.
- When the rice has a nice shine on it, add in about 2 cups liquid and stir to combine. Place the shrimp on top of the rice.
- Lower the heat to medium and let the pan sit, DO NOT TOUCH IT. Just let the rice soak in the liquid. After about 5 minutes check the rice, if you see dry spots you can add in a bit more of the stock. Add the remaining vegetables and the sliced sausage and give it a gentle stir
- Cook for another 5 more min, or until the rice is cooked to your preference, taste and add more salt if necessary, you can add in a touch more liquid too.
- Once it’s done let it sit for about 1 min then serve.