For the month of March I'm challenging myself to eat at least one 100% vegetarian meal a day. I'm doing this partly to improve my health but also as a way to expand my knowledge of vegetarian recipes. When I started dating a vegetarian girl I got Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and it's a great source from which I've adapted a number of recipes. Today's recipe is pretty simple but also delicious. My take on a greek salad.
- 1 head romain lettuce chopped
- 1/2 a red onion sliced thin
- 1 cucumber diced ( I skin mine but it's really a personal choice)
- a handful of grape tomatoes quartered
- 1/4c good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- salt / pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic minced or pulverized (the fastest way is to skin it and smack it with a heavy pan)
- a handful of kalamata olives diced
- a couple of marinated mushrooms diced
- 1/2 a roasted red pepper diced
- goat cheese crumbles
- In a small bowl combine the oil, vinegar, a pinch of salt, a generous grind of pepper, the garlic, oregano, and mix. Or if you're feeling lazy like me use the smalled container for your blender.
- In a large bowl toss the lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, onion, olives, mushrooms and red pepper. Top with the dressing.
- When serving put some goat cheese crumbles on each plate and enjoy.