This is a recipe I've adapted after trying a bunch of different recipes but found that none of them really had the flavor I wanted. It's a pretty simple recipe but it requires a lot of time and effort.
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 6 largish pieces of garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Herbs de Provence
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ribs celery diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 bell pepper (pick a color you like) diced
- Mince the 4 pieces garlic and mix with the butter and about a tablespoon of olive oil. If you have a small chopper I recommend throwing the mixture in there and let the blades do the work. Let the mixture sit in the fridge and firm up for about an hour. This can be made ahead of time.
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees. Cut the italian bread in half long ways and spread the garlic butter oil mixture across the bread and let bake for about 20min or until the bread is lightly brown.
- While the bread is baking mix the vegetables, salt, pepper, olive oil, herbs, and garlic in an aluminum try. Bake the vegetable mix for 25 min. Stir the mixture every 10 min or so.
- When the bread is done baking let it cool then cube the bread into small even pieces.
- Mix the bread cubes with the vegetable mixture. Pour enough of the vegetable stock to make the cubes moist but not sopping wet. Put the mixture in an 400 degree oven and bake uncovered for 25 min. Stirring the mixture every 10-15min.
Serve with your favorite piece of meat or as hearty meal on it own.